Saturday, September 6, 2014

What is 23000 miles away from Nicholasville Kentucky?

How long can you sit in one spot?  Your couch lovingly conformed to your body. Visions of much more productive things dancing in your head.  I had grandiose plans of discussing how vast the ocean is.  Really?  How many whales are there out in the ocean?  How big is that, our ocean, for it to be able to hide enormous whales within it's folds?  So big that we literally have to hunt, search them out.  We can't just push our hands in and come up with a large handful of life. I don't know much about whales though.
    And for things I don't know much about I turn to Google.  Like hopefully most everyone does.  Because really, Google is IT.  It doesn't know, however, 'What is 23000 miles away from Nicholasville Kentucky'?  Or maybe it just doesn't know how to answer my query.  I Googled it.  No helpful result.  Our moon on the other hand, is about 23000 miles away from all of us.  It used to take NASA and it's astronauts two days to reach it.  I've been here on my couch thinking about all of these things.  How it's extremely difficult to hold in my mind just how incredibly large and infinitely small things can be.  How often do we take a moment to imagine how big a whale really is?  How small our blood cells are?
   We as humans are like a vast colony of ants. Spreading out as far as we dare.  We have the ability to look out.  See hints of what we as a species are achieving.  We can read about the men that have touched our closest celestial bodies and about the men who have gone to the lowest depths and highest points on our world.  But when we aren't focusing... these things softly drift into our periphery.  They are in our collective consciousness but not quite in the forefront.  I personally, easily drift into into my own very shallow depth of field.  Like why can't I focus long enough to drink an entire cup of coffee while it's still steaming hot?   I have to keep returning to again and again to the microwave.  It's still not as good as when it was first brewed.  At least my couch still has a spot held for me when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment