Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Is Social Media Always a Black Hole for Creativity?

I had a premonition that my social media use bogged me down. Kept me too distracted to get anything real accomplished. I set some goals for myself and went about attempting to move my life around to set things in motion for me to reach those goals. 
   So what did I do? Yup, immediately started yet another form of social media. This blog. I've always documented my life in one form or another. I use to keep a journal, in high school. Then in college I got my first camera. From then on out I became focused on capturing my memories as they happened. College parties. Art. Interesting nature I saw along the road. Vacations. 
   What does this have to do with social media you ask?  Well, social media has expanded that drive to document 100 fold. Magnified the obcession so to speak. It's actually brought that obcession right to my finger tips 24/7. I can snap photos of my decadent restaurant dessert one night, tweet a rant, connect with family on Facebook and turn around and show you all a weird bug I found hiking the next minute. All equally valid to me. 
    Now as well as ease of use, there are an endless selection of outlets to release your self out into the world. Sometimes my thoughts and images find their way onto all my preferred platforms and sometimes I pick an choose. Depending upon my topic and targeted audience. 
   Now that I've chose to make this aspect of social media a force for drive and inspiration my struggle will be focus. Can I keep this momentum up while simultaneously creating?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment